As part of Overwolf’s continuous efforts to give apps more exposure, alongside with improving user control and convenience, we have released the capability to add and manage desktop shortcuts for apps.
Why Do You Need It?
- Exposure on the user’s desktop – where he always looks
- Improved UX – let the user decide from where he wants to launch your app
Location, Location, Location
So… Where will the user see/use these shortcuts?
The first location in which you get additional exposure is already in the installer, if the user has selected your app to be bundled with Overwolf upon download:
In addition, we automatically place a shortcut for any other app he chooses to download.
The user shall be able to manage (add/remove) the desktop shortcut from several locations – the dock contextual menu, the Appstore’s library page and the app’s page itself on the store. Of course they can be deleted manually from the desktop at any time.
How To Embed?
Adding this capability is fairly simple:
- Adding the
"launcher_icon"property to the manifest.json file
- Adding the icon.ico asset to your app’s folder
- The launcher icon should look like the app’s dock icon to prevent any confusion
- The launcher icon is a 256×256 transparent .png converted into a .ico file (16×16, 32×32, 48×48, 256×256)
There are two possible design options for your launcher icon:
Note: If your logo is round, you can use it without the generic background